Below is a short congregational history
copied and updated from the 2000 directory.
June of 1833, ten interested people gathered
in the Blockhouse with the Rev. James McVey. Growing
in number and service, the congregation was
officially recognized at the Disciplesí
state convention of 1835. First
Christian Church is marking its 182nd
year of continued service in the name of
beautiful stone and brick A-frame church at
the corner of Third and Bowman Streets has
been home since 1956, the fifth physical
location of our ministry. More
than brick and mortar, timbers and nails,
the church is people. A
truly Christian home is established by Godís
Holy Spirit in its members rather than the
records indicate that there have been thirty
Ranging from a few months to a few
years in the early days, to the lengthy
calls of The Rev. Ben Hagelbarger (1929-56),
Dr. William Newman (1956-80) and Dr. J.
Harold Hopkins (1981-92). In
addition, the congregation has nurtured
nineteen Timothies into Christian ministry.
first Sunday school was organized by John
Neal in 1854.
While growth was slow at first, by
1912 the Sunday school blossomed with
attendance filling the church building and
adjacent parsonage by the early 1960ís.
1963 the congregation sponsored the
development of the Southside Christian
Church between Mansfield and Lexington.
The congregation remains
committed to being a Christian witness
within downtown Mansfield while shining
the light of Godís love throughout
Richland County and beyond! All
are welcome at the Lordís Table to partake
of His abundant grace and mercy.
have uncovered more historical
information for both the DISCIPLES of
the Mansfield Christian Church.
the image below to read a history
Click on Alexander Campbell
to learn more about him.
Click to see our
buildings and ministers.
Click to read the story of The
Faceted Stained Glass Windows
and to view the individual panes.
Click on the list of
Names to view drawings of our Timothies.
We continue to search for missing photos.